It’s episode 60 and I’m chatting with Alisha Sommer, a Bay Area Freelance Writer & Photographer.
I first encountered Alisha online and so appreciated her aesthetic, specific and gentle presence that I got on her newsletter list and started following her on Instagram. Since then, I’ve featured her in an interview series of creative s based on the Proust questionnaire – link in show notes – and I’ve taken her Liberated Lines writing course.
Alisha has a gift for holding sacred space, for deep listening, and for seeing the ordinary in extraordinary ways.
In the past, she founded and edited a print literary journal (Blackberry: a magazine), published personal essays, creative nonfiction, and poetry for a variety of online and print publications, ghostwritten, and taught at Squam Art Workshops.
Currently, you’ll find her hosting creative gatherings in Sonoma, CA like the Fever Dreams Collective Retreat with Jennette Nielsen (on my wishlist), and facilitating the online writing workshop liberated lines with Robin Sandomirsky.
It was so fun to connect more deeply with Alisha, and I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy listening in.
Enjoy our ramble through the fairytale of Bluebeard as well as Alisha’s relationship with her body and creativity.
Reciprocity & Appreciation
This is an ad-free self-produced podcast. That means I DIY it all. However, I’d love to hire experts – people that are skilled in editing and I’d like to get the episodes transcribed to make them more accessible, and eventually I’d like to pay my guests.
It takes a community to make goals like this happen, so I’m asking you, the listeners, for your help.
If you appreciate the Personal Mythmaking podcast please support the show at: www.patreon.com/janellehardy so I can use that money to employ amazing podcast producers and pay our amazing guests.
You can also make a one-time donation with this paypal button:
There are some lovely perks for supporting the podcast on Patreon:
- a monthly recording of a fairytale for you to listen to
- access to my Honouring Your Anger ecourse
- access to my Honouring Your Grief ecourse
- At the $50 level, a monthly writing circle, in which we work with a fairytale and write and discuss (this is so rich and fun!)
It would mean so much to have you support the show: www.patreon.com/janellehardy
Resources from this episode:
- The Syilx People of the Okanagan Nation
- The Coast Miwok People of the Bay Area, California
- book: Lost Worlds of the Bay Area by Sylvia Linsteadt
- Brentwood, California
- book: Women Who Run With The Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Miranda July
Connecting with Alisha:
- Liberated Lines writing course
- Fever Dreams Collective Retreat
- The Lusciously & Soulfully interview with Alisha
Connecting with Janelle:
Things we chatted about in this episode:
- the fairytale Bluebeard
- relationship with body
- relationship with creativity