DIY Marketinga jam-packed workshop on how to get more visible on the cheap and free side of things
Attention fellow artists, instructors, healing arts practitioners, solo-preneurs & creatives
A 3 hour, live, fast-paced online workshop (plus access to a comprehensive online resource library)
We’ll go over ALL the basics that you might need to know, want to know, have no idea you needed to know, and more, in order to be able to:
Be found online:
- by setting up a good-looking DIY website (cheap or free)
- by writing copy for your website that explains who you are and what you do
- by setting up a newsletter list
- by making an easy to access contact form and professional e-mail address
- by using social media effectively (ie: facebook &/or instagram &/or linkedIN)
Show up online:
- by creating and implementing a marketing plan for in-person and online connection that don’t break the bank or your heart
- by creating a cohesive DIY ‘brand’ and using it to:
- create your own graphics for free (and with ease)
- using excellent (and copyright infringement & $$ free) imagery, sourced online
- taking decent photos of yourself and your work (there are some easy hacks)
Find your ideal customers/clients/students online:
- by building community around your work
- using facebook groups and Instagram effectively
- by networking (including networking for introverts)
- by offering classes and/or workshops via videocall platforms
Get paid online:
- by receiving payment/using paypal buttons and invoices (or Square, Stripe and other options)
- by creating simple and easy ecourses (if desired)
Be inspired by how others show up online:
- by accessing case studies (in the googledoc resource library) of amazing instagram creators and healers (dancers, visual artists, poets, etc) that have built followings and careers out of their consistent, considered yet also carefree offerings on social media
Produce your own media online:
- by podcasting (if that’s your thing – and it’s mine, so I have all the DIY info you’ll need)
- by using youtube/vimeo/video
Pitch yourself online:
- by creating a media kit and identifying podcasts/publications/community leaders who might like to feature you, and pitching yourself and your work to them
- by using my personal media kit as an example, plus my insight from running a podcast for 4+ years and administering and marketing for artists at the Caetani Centre’s Artist-in-Residence program
I just wanted to tell you how amazing the workshop was. Seriously! For the amount of information and resources you gave us and for such a solid 3 hours, for that price?! Honestly, I think that out of all the various workshops and retreats I have attended, that was by far the most value for the cost. Totally, totally, totally worth it.
All of your suggestions were practical, and easy, and low-cost, and motivating most of all… for once I feel like it’s not only possible for me to get a handle on this, but that I might even (shock and awe) have a chance of being successful once I do it.
It’s easy to get bogged down and overwhelmed with a lot of information but your approach was so uplifting and casual.
Not to mention I love listening to your voice, you’re very warm and soothing!
You’ll get a super comprehensive overview of the basic starting points for DIY online marketing
I must say how impressed I was by your very informative videocall workshop.
Whew!! You did a ton of work putting it together, and tons and tons of hours in getting, using, and evaluating the resources and sites that you offered!
The reinforcement of simplicity and consistency was the biggest takeaway.
You’ll leave the workshop with:
- a solid knowledge base about what’s important, useful and helpful, and what is nonsense and worth avoiding.
- access to the googledoc resource library, full of useful links, next steps and case studies.
I guarantee this will save you hours and hours of scouring the internet, and, most likely, hundreds – if not thousands of dollars – wasted on ecourses that promise big results and underdeliver on information and results.
To sign up for DIY Marketing simply choose your preferred session below.
IMPORTANT: Once you’re purchased a spot you’ll receive an e-mail with the Zoom call details.
Note: there are no workshops scheduled right now.
I only teach DIY Marketing once or twice a year.
- Get on my newsletter list to be notified next time I teach it live.
Or, of you have a group of 4+ people who want to take the workshop, contact me and I’ll customize it to you/your friends/your community.
Who is Janelle?
My name is Janelle Hardy and I’m a born and raised Yukoner (34 of my 41 years) as well as a published writer with a BA in Anthropology, an MA in Dance and a Diploma in Hellerwork Structural Integration.
As happens when you’re a creative eclectic person, and a solo parent who really needs to pay the bills, I’ve worked many complementary jobs:
- Research Assistant at Yukon Archives
- Arts Fund Administrator at Yukon Government
- arts admin for all sorts of arts and culture non-profits
- project manager/assessor/admin/marketer for two artist-in-residence programs in BC
- teacher and teaching assistant at Yukon College, York University
- self-employed doing hands-on bodywork
- entrepreneur teaching creative writing and healing workshops online and in person
I’m also a visual artist (painting – you can see my 100 portrait project here) with a variety of self-produced and standalone art shows (including at Yukon Arts Centre Public Gallery & Headbones Gallery.)
As a self-employed healing arts practitioner, creator and teacher I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of learning how to present myself and market myself in-person AND online.
What this means for you is that I’ve got an uncommon skillset – I’ve worked in arts and culture admin for government, non-profits and myself.
I’ve done marketing for myself as a self-employed bodyworker, artist and course creator, and I’ve also done the same for non-profits.
I’ve spent thousands of dollars and a lot of time learning how to do this online in the ‘new’ attention economy, and I’ve figured out how to market without exhausting myself as an introvert and highly sensitive person.
I’ve built several websites and written many sales pages. Such as:
- The Art of Personal Mythmaking (online course)
- janellehardy.com (personal website)
- Hellerwork Structural Integration services (hands-on healing work)
- louisehardy.ca (counselling and art therapy)
- Hardy Creatives Residency (home-based artist in residence program)
Because of all this, I listen deeply, ask useful questions, see patterns, draw threads together, point you in the right direction resources-wise, and support you to get started on your own creative self-employed dreams.
And, despite these skills, I’m really not in the market of providing business and marketing coaching/support services full-time.
I’m quite happy to offer this workshop once in a while, and stick with my own creations otherwise.
Most importantly – I have a wealth of resources for all of your next steps after the workshop – in my comprehensive online resource library, which I’m constantly adding to and updating.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need?
Zoom (for the videocall.) This is free for you. You’ll just need to download the app to your computer/ipad/smartphone.
After you sign up, you’ll receive an e-mail with the videocall link. To install Zoom you can simply click the link and you’ll be prompted to take the steps to install it on your device.
It usually takes less than 5 minutes.
Give yourself time to do so in advance of the workshop.
How are you qualified to do this work?
I’ve spent the last 5 years learning these things.
Lots of time and money, in the realms of improving the presence of my in-person healing arts practice as well as setting up to sell art online, run an artist-in-residence program, then finally transitioning all of my online marketing efforts towards my online courses (transformational memoir-writing.)
I’m interested in teaching this workshop if it can alleviate some of your frustration and overwhelm – all the things I felt as I was learning.
You’ll be getting an exceptional amount of value for what you pay, I can assure you.